What is Myofascial Release
Myofascial release is the application of low-intensity forces to soft tissues over a long period of time. Essentially, the purpose is to allow contracted muscles to relax, which improves blood flow and nutrient flow to the area. The effect is that muscles operate with smoother motion because of reduced internal rubbing.
What are the Foam Roller Benefits?
A foam roller is a simple piece of equipment that anyone can use for self-myofascial release. I recommend this foam roller on Amazon.
What will a Foam Roller Do?
- Increase blood flow to muscles: Myofascial release via foam rolling exercises stretches and loosens muscles. By applying force to your muscles and connective tissue over time, blood is squeezed out and replaced by a flood of fresh blood.
- Improve muscle movement: MFR leads to better hydrated and looser muscles that move past one another with less friction.
- Improve range of motion: MFR improves range of motion through increased flexibility of properly stretched and lubricated muscles.
- Decrease injury risk: MFR increases circulation throughout the body resulting in better range of motion and more effective body movements.
- Decrease recovery time: MFR pulls the acid away from muscles by recruiting fresh blood and nutrients to the fatigued muscle groups.
- Get you faster results: MFR lessens recovery, lowers chance of injury so you can keep at it!
Consider adding a foam roller to your fitness arsenal. All the muscles of your body will be happy you did and the results of you hard work in and out of the gym will come more quickly and less painfully. To learn how to do more foam roller exercises, contact me to schedule private and small group Myofascial Release sessions at your place or mine!